"At a certain part in your life, probably when too much of it has gone by, you will open your eyes and see yourself for who you are. Especially for everything that made you so different from all the awful normals. And you will say to yourself: but I am this person. And in that statement, that correction, there will be a kind of love."
-from the film Phoebe in Wonderland

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

DON'T LET UNEXPECTED SITUATIONS "THROW" YOU

That's what the fortune in my fortune cookie said today. Easier said than done, I thought. So far, for these first 3 months of 2010, it seems that life is most definitely throwing a few curve balls at me and my family.

In January, we had to say an unexpected good-bye to our pitbull Samson who had to be put down after discovering he had cancer which was spreading throughout his body. We miss him so much. Some may say he was just a dog, but to us - he was a cherished member of our family.

February brought about the most unexpected event which shook the very core of our foundation when my mom was diagnosed with cancer. She has b-cell lymphoma, a form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. She began chemo 2 weeks ago and is feeling well enough, but is starting to loose her hair. We went wig shopping last Saturday. I am so thankful she seems to have a good prognosis, but the c-word is still so very scary.

Yesterday, I received the unexpected news that when my lease is up in May, I have to move out of my apartment so that is can be renovated. Which means I have 2 months to find a new place to live. Or figure out if I am going to stay on at my current job or find something closer to my hometown so I can help my mom out when she needs me. There is a position open near the airport that would be ideal for me. I could move into an apartment close to my family and commute pretty easily. But leaving my job - especially my kids whom I have come to absolutely love - would be no easy task. Plus, I can't be sure they could match my current salary. Oh, and there is the small fact that they haven't even contacted me saying they received my application. *sigh* Honestly, a big part of me feels like I need to stay here and see my class through until they move into preschool in the fall of next year. If that is what needs to be done, then I have some apartment shopping to do.

So these things on top of a problem with one of my brothers which has caused a lot of heartache and stress during the most difficult times has equaled quite a series of unfortunate and unexpected events in my life and the lives of those I love.

There have been plenty of happy times in between. My niece Aubrey turned 6 years old and is starting to loose some of her baby teeth which she is thrilled about. My niece Ashton turned 14, the same age I was when I got to meet her for the very first time. I've reconnected with a lot of my extended family - on my mom's side - through face*book, including cousins, aunts and uncles. My parents have a new puppy named Sassy who seems to be the perfect addition to the family after the loss of Samson and Spike (last year). And my family is planning a big Cocoa Beach / Disney trip at the end of the year to CELEBRATE LIFE!

I don't know what other unexpected situations will be thrown at me next, but I pray that God will guide me through all of this and help me to make the right choices for my future.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. "
- Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: