"At a certain part in your life, probably when too much of it has gone by, you will open your eyes and see yourself for who you are. Especially for everything that made you so different from all the awful normals. And you will say to yourself: but I am this person. And in that statement, that correction, there will be a kind of love."
-from the film Phoebe in Wonderland

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ash-Baby

I blogged on Saturday that I had spent that night introducing my nieces, particularly my oldest niece Ashton, to the band Hanson, whom I was crazy about back when I was around her age. Ashton went home on Sunday and downloaded a few of their songs that she liked onto her iPod. She told all the kids at her middle school about Hanson and how they had been the Jonas Brothers of the 90s. Well, one of her teachers overheard her and said that her daughter is married to Zac. (Zac is the drummer and youngest brother.) Her teacher was thrilled that Ashton was a fan and promised to get the boys to sign something special for her the next time they come to Atlanta. Ashton told her that her aunt had gotten her into them so her teacher promised to get them to sign something for me as well. How sweet is that?! Ash was so excited to call and tell me about this yesterday. I knew that Taylor (the middle brother and lead singer) is married to a girl who use to live in the same county here in GA as Ashton, but I didn't know that Zac married a Coweta County girl, too!

Ashton is now talking non-stop about going to see one of their concerts with me if they ever come back to Atlanta and possibly getting backstage passes. LOL... It's nice to have something like this that we can bond over. She and I have always been super close. I refer to her as my first child because when she was a baby and she would spend the weekend at our house, I would take care of her like a little mother (I was 13 when she was born). And to this day (she'll be 12 later this month) she still spends every second with me when she is here and tells all her friends that I'm her best friend. She even says she wants to move in with me when she turns 18! I know in the next few years her friends will become the most important thing in her life.... but I am so thankful that we have formed such a close relationship over the years. I know that come what may, our bond will stay strong forever.











































So now I just have to find out if Hanson is still around and, if so, when they are coming back to ATL! The 13-year-old in me has been awakened.

No comments: